Ruben Centre-Nairobi International Trade Fair 2018
- Published: Tuesday, 23 October 2018 11:34
Agriculture is the backbone of Kenya’s economy. The practice of innovative agriculture has gained importance due to the rising rate of poverty, increasing population and high food prices especially for low income earners living in urban informal settlements.
Ruben Centre recognizes the need to innovate techniques that will improve food security by maximizing use of limited resources such as water and land in a sustainable fashion and safe agricultural practices.
The Ruben Centre’s Vision is a Just and Empowered Mukuru community. We live our mission by teaching people especially the youth how to fish rather than giving them fish through offering a variety of courses among them a Weaving course and urban agriculture course. It is for this reason that we attracted the eyes of the Ministry of Agriculture in Nairobi and we got an opportunity to showcase our innovative techniques in urban agriculture and weaving for the third year now at the Nairobi International Trade Fair held in the Agriculture Society of Kenya (ASK) Grounds in Nairobi from 1st October to 7th October 2018.
The one week show attracts people from all divides of life and people from high Government offices too. For this year, we had the Nairobi County Governor Mike Mbuvi Sonko visit our stall and the shamba where we were showcasing exemplary innovative agricultural techniques to improving food security for people living in urban slums. He was truly impressed.
All our staff including Eliud (our Weaving Instructor); Musa (the Small Urban Farming and Small Animal Farming Advisor); and, Elizabeth (our Production Manager) and Interns from the Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) were engaged for the week answering questions; selling products and encouraging all to visit our Centre and see for themselves the OASIS in the Mukuru Slum. We made good connections with other firms in Nairobi and all over the world and we have started utilizing them already.
- Exposure able to meet and network with other exhibitors
- Sensitize people on how to make use of small spaces in their urban homes
- Built some mural with former lecturer professor wesonga JKUAT.
- Being in different media groups. (Pest management &soil improvement
- Visitors who came after show wanted to be guided on how to establish kitchen garden in their compounds.
- Good relationship with the county official thus making it easy for Ruben Centre to be in the show ground
- Taking the weaving machine to the showground
- Opportunity to the governor visit the farm
- Marketing the Ruben Centre HDSTP Courses and increase of youth interested in joining the courses.