Sponsors a Child
Together we can end extreme poverty
You can help break the ripple effects of poverty by sponsoring a student or supporting a program
1). Sponsoring a student
Scholarships for Secondary Students.
We have a constant need to help our Grade 8 students progress to secondary education. Ruben Centre is currently supporting over 90 students in the four years of secondary education but we need more funds to ensure we can help more young people and send them to schools which offer boarding facilities, away from the Mukuru Slum. It costs AUD 600 to sponsor a student in to a secondary school a year through our oasis of hope program that offers scholarships to needy but bright students from our primary school. By sponsoring a student, you give him or her hope to believe in him/her self for a better tomorrow.
What you receive as a sponsor:
- Quarterly reports about the academic performance of the student you sponsor
- Annual updates from the social worker on general performance both in school and in community service at Ruben Centre
- Personally written letters emailed to you from the student
2). Sponsoring a program
You can sponsor a program as an individual or as a corporate body. There are six programs at Ruben Centre and some of the areas you can sponsor include:
3). Vocation Training for young adults and parents.
Participants can get involved in a range of programs to broaden their skills such as bead work, dressmaking, computer class, charcoal making and carpet making.
4). Ruben Economic Empowerment Program.
Ruben Centre whose purpose is to economically empower the residents of Mukuru Slum by offering small loans to and business skills to create a better future for themselves. This is a new initiative after the exit of COMET microfinance. We would ideally love to offer this service to more people in our community.
5). Holiday activities so our kids can have brand new experiences.
Excursions would include day trips to Nairobi’s giraffe park, elephant orphanage and fun parks.
Saturday play program for kids with supervision of three teachers.
6). Funds for library books to foster a love of reading within our children.
Ruben Centre’s library is used for the primary school as well as secondary students who come back for holidays to use the facilities.
7). Breakfast program, which feeds children from Nursery to Grade 5 (1,500 children).
With your help, they will receive porridge to be able to study throughout the day. School uniforms are made onsite at Ruben Centre through the Vocation Training program. Some parents are simply unable to afford to buy their children the Ruben uniform. Your funds will support these families.
8).Life Skills for young people.
We see a huge need for unemployed youth to engage in activities and training programs. In partnership with U Tena (CBO) we will empower young people so that they can have a brighter future.
9). Special needs children program to support children with various disabilities access education and therapy.
- Different programs from the clinic:
- Mother child health program
- Nutrition program
- Occupational therapy program
10). Corporate benefits of sponsoring a program:
- Direct support for children and families living in Mukuru Slum, which has a population of 600,000 people.
- Enhancing your corporate reputation
- Providing a point of difference over your competitors
- Enhancing your employee morale and satisfaction through their participation in community service
- Publicity on our website, newsletters, social media and branding in the program you support